Monday, February 1, 2010

Enchiladas

Now let's all be honest here.  We usually do not go out and make our own enchilada sauce.  I have a few favorites, and I am sure you guys do too.  But if you're in the mood and it seems like you have a ton of time on your hands, by all means go ahead.  Might I suggest this recipe, it looks wonderful. (http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/enchilada-sauce-recipe.html)

Now the secret to enciladas when you're pressed for time is the trust crock-pot.  Yeah thats right.  And no, you are not making the enchiladas in there, just the filling.

Get a roast.  I don't care what type, a pork roast is always yummy, as is beef, or even several of those boneless skinnless chicken breasts you find in the freezer section. Cook about 2-2.5 pounds of meat (again, any kind) in the crock pot with some seasoning.  I find salt, pepper and a few herbs from one of those mixed herbs you can get at any grocery store.  Don't over season it though, a lot of flavor is going to come from the sauce later on.

Cook that roast several hours--I leave my crock-pot on low all day long, often while I am at work. Do not take it out until it is literally falling apart. Literally.  Completely falling apart. 

Put the falling apart roast, or chicken in a fry-pan on medium, and pull it apart.  You want strings of meat here.  As its mostly falling apart, add half of your enchilada sauce.  (I usually go for one of my two cans here).  Simmer it for just a few minutes getting the sauce over everything. EVERYTHING. 

Add about half as much cheese as you have meat.  Mix in the melting pot. Simple, no?

Now get out your tortillas.  Here you have to go ahead and make or get good ones.  Don't get cheap totillas, you will just be mad at yourself later, after that crockpot spent all day cooking for you.

Fill the tortillas with the gooey mixture. Fill them I say.  Dont skimp.  Put each filled tortilla in a baking casserole type dish. Layer them right next to each other, snuggly. It's kind of like a one-layer Enchilada Lasagna.

Once all the tortillas are filled, cover them with the rest of the sauce.  Spread it around so it looks like you took the time to make these traditionally, dredging the tortillas in the sauce then filling, and so on.  Put s sprinkle of cheese--again don't go cheap on the cheese, you want flavor, no? A Vermont Sharp cheddar is fabulous, as is a nice Mexican or Monterrey jack mix of already shredded cheese.

Put the Casserole in the oven at about 350-375 for about 10-20 minutes, or long enough to write a blog post.

Top with sour cream and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I fully intend to try this for my husband and I...Alex might like it actually since he is my good child and eats almost anything. LOL.

    ReplyDelete